Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Nothing I Can Do?

It's been interesting to see that over the last year living on Florida St. we've had more people in the neighborhood come to know that we're "nice" or "Christians", or at least people who will let them in, or hear their story, or tell them, "No, I'm sorry we can't give you any money, but we can do...." One woman who periodically comes by for prayer, or a ride, or desperate hopes of just a dollar or two, came by the other day. This time was different...almost. She was drunk, soaking wet from the pouring down rain, and was asking us to call Alcohol/Drug Rehab to see if there were any beds available for her. So of course we let her in, and made the call. There were in fact beds available, but we would have to wait until after 2pm to check in. So, she said she was going to pack up some stuff, and I could come pick her up a little before 2 to go. I was sceptical of this actually taking place, but with her desperate desire to be free from an abusive relationship and addictions, I thought..."Maybe she'll go." So, I went by to pick her up at 2, and as I thought might happen, she was not ready to go, and for this reason or that reason, wasn't able to go. So, I told her when she WAS ready, to let me know, and I would definitely take her to ADS. The next day she came by, hoping for something, money, clothes, anything I might be "giving to Salvation Army", I'm sure just anything to use for alcohol or drug money, and I told her, "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do for you." I wonder, is this true. I know that praying with her, as I've done in the past, is the most I can do, but in this situation, I wonder is there nothing I can do?

1 comment:

Marshall said...

To define it as "nothing you can do" may make you feel like you are lying to the person, because you certainly could scrounge up a couple bucks or whatever they might be asking for. But you know that her need is not $2 or a new shirt. Her need is healing, and in some ways, there is nothing you can do (in the ultimate sense because only God can heal). And there is also nothing you can do to address her true need until SHE is ready to address it and gets sick and tired of being sick and tired. So I think that you did speak truth that there was nothing you can do for her at that moment and it wasn't merely an excuse to get her off of your porch.
FYI, I am attending a workshop at Moses Cone on Feb. 14th about ministering to individuals with mental illness and substance abuse disorders. It's from 9 - 3:30 that day, and Will has info (and the church may pay your way to go).