Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Middle School Blues

so recently i've been thinking a lot about middle school. mainly because i work with a group of inner city k-8th graders, and undoubtedly the hardest sector of that group are the middle schoolers. i mean where did they learn to be the way they are. so aloof, and unresponsive, but then at the turn of a head totally giddy and playful. it's like they're handed some book on the first day of 6th grade that is the handbook to being an intimidating, hard to handle, hard to understand, and just plain moody middle schooler. honestly, i wouldn't go back to middle school if you paid me. bad hair, bad friends, bad acne, you name it. but there is something totally unique and wonderful about these kids. just like i was, they're finding out who they are. and they're becoming real people, and not just some unruly kids. they want to be treated like adults, and yet they still need the boundaries of a child. it's a tricky place to be, and i wouldn't ever go back. so as frustrated as i can get with them for being so hard, i totally understand why. who can blame them, they're middle schoolers.

2 comments:

carrie said...

To be where we were, or to be where we are, I think is the question. You have posted an interesting topic here, sis. I think although none of us favor the acne and growing pains of middle school, that the desire to walk those paths again is sometimes something that we think on. I for one, would never choose middle school again, but at the same time, I wouldn't be the person I am without it. I will never forget the sweet girl who had been in mom's 5th grade class knowing me because of the contribution that mom made to her life. What you are doing is awesome because you are giving those children a light and a model of a life that can be productive and beautiful. If I could go back there, that is the only thing I would change- that someone as incredible as you and those you work with would have reached out and touched my life too.

The Rupps said...

it's really fun to see you blogging again, i hadn't checked in a while!!
i would love to see photos of your two sweet kids!
it would also be fun to hear what kind of an adjustment 2 has been....
i'm glad we can be in touch this way and I still think of you and miss you and am thankful for the time we had together in Seattle and thailand!