Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Wondrous Gift

This advent time for me is always such a gift, though one that can easily pass by me in a rush, without notice, if I'm not careful. More than any other season, I believe that we have opportunities to hear about His coming. However, it definitely doesn't mean that it's easier to listen. With all our concerts, performances, events, music, parties, and not to mention shopping, we barely have time to send out cards, much less take time to actually listen for a silent gift that was given over 2,000 years ago.

The Christ child came in such a way that didn't force anyone to hear, and yet invited all to be a part. He entered into our small and finite world with such vulnerability. Needy, weak, and poor He arrived on a dark night, to a young couple who had no idea how to be parents. And yet, even though more than ever we are needy, weak, and poor, we seldom admit to needing Him. We rush about doing our things, and figuring out our problems, and sometimes stopping to offer a "please do this" prayer. I'm so quick to figure life out myself, and get my needs met however I can, as quickly as possible.

The other day as I was driving, I heard this verse of "O Little Town of Bethlehem"...

"How silently, How silently, the wondrous gift is given.
So God imparts to human hearts, the blessings of His heaven.

No hear may hear His coming, but in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive Him still, the dear Christ enters in."

Lord, may I be a meek soul. May I stop and take the time to have you enter in. Not just during the Christmas Eve service. Not just when I'm irritated at the Christmas traffic. But, may I know how much I need you this Christmas, and always.

1 comment:

This Little Hen said...

What a beautiful reminder!