Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Real Boy

You know how in Pinocchio, when he turns into a real boy, and Gepetto keeps saying, "A real boy! A real boy!" ? Well, that's how I've felt this week with Asher. I feel like he's turning into a real boy. Not a baby. A real boy. And there's nothing I can do to stop it or slow it down.

I think it started with the haircut. I had been putting it off for so long, just loving the way the curls hung around his neck. I know that those first curls don't always come back, and I wasn't quite ready to part with them. I also knew that cutting it, would be the start of a new big boy look, and he's just been my sweet baby boy. But as the cute curls turned into a mullet, it started to look less "babyish" and more unkempt. And then, it got so long that it started to look like a little girl. See...

The long eyelashes don't help that, either. So, I distracted him in the bathtub with some toys and brushed it down while it was wet. Then in one snip, I cut those long curls. Well, then, as soon as he heard the scissors, he would jerk away, so I had to think of a new distraction. I got him out of the tub, put a diaper on, and sat him on sissy's bed (his favorite spot) with his favorite book, and a handful of Pringles. Then, I tried to very quickly, snip some of the sides away, to match the back a little bit. It was fun to see such an immediate change in him. To really see him look more like a real boy. Or a little man in a diaper finishing his chips.



It's really amazing and fun to see the change from baby to little kid, but it's also hard to see it happening so fast. Last Tuesday at his 18 month old appointment, I told the doctor that he only really had about 5-10 words. This week I'd say it was about 15-20. And sentences starting to come out, too.

And then there's the climbing. Like pushing a chair over to the counter, and climbing up for what he wants. Or climbing out of the bathtub on his own. Or climbing onto the bed or table and getting off without any help at all.

He's probably my last. And he'll always be my baby, but he sure is changing fast. I like this picture of him. He's fake crying because he can't have more Pringles. But I also like it, because he looks a little bit more like a baby here. Poor thing, I'm sure he'll be in counseling for years.

6 comments:

Heather said...

it's AMAZING how much a haircut can change a baby! i've always said the same thing EVERY time they have a haircut...they look SO grownup!

Wilson Ramblings said...

Such a cutie! His haircut really does make him look older!

Nan said...

The picture of Sher in front of the couch reminds me of one I have of Jonathan leaning on the couch and eating, in a diaper! I miss that some, but not so much that I am no enjoying this phase. He starts kindergarten sometime this summer (we are going to give homeschooling a go). Asher is too cute!

living life said...

i like the haircut and the live version of the fake crying. man they grow up fast.

Kevin & Amy Sasser said...

So cute and so grown-up! At least he has those precious eye lashes. Kevin said you were bluffing when you said he was your last. :) He said they need to have three, like us! Who said we were having three?!

Whitney Hannam said...

Wow, look at that haircut...pretty soon "baby Ollie" will have to become "big boy Ollie" with a haircut as well. Melissa, you did a great job, it looks professional!