Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Bless The Hands That Never Tire In Their Loving Care of Me"






When I was a little girl, I used to love looking at my mamma's hands.    They always had pretty rings on, and they always looked beautiful.   I longed for the day when I would be able to wear them.    My sister and I would even "put our name" on jewelry that we really liked, and because I loved the color purple, I always claimed all the amethyst.   My sister, being 4 years older, knew to not go for color, and always claimed the diamonds - smarty pants!

When I look at my hands now, throughout the day, I don't often think of my Mom, just because I'm in the midst of doing.   Washing dishes, cooking dinner, grabbing another tissue, blowing another nose.    But, yesterday, for some reason, I decided to put on her rings.   I have her hands, which is really fun, because when I put on her rings, they look just like hers did.    Even in the colder months, when they get kind of scratchy and chapped, no matter how much lotion I put on.     

As I went about my day, I thought about how her hands cared for me.   Day after day.   Cleaning, cooking, washing, hugging, reading, playing, and as you know, the list goes on and on.   Even though she didn't live a long life, every day of hers was filled with loving care towards me.   When I think about my hands, I know that they really do tire.   I tire of doing, giving, being that ever present person to comfort and love my family.    But even though I tire, I wouldn't have it any other way.   I love knowing that what makes me tired is caring for them.    And, to my children, when they look at my hands, I want them to know that my hands never tire of loving care for them.    

My little girl noticed I was wearing several rings, and asked about them.    I told her how much my mom loved nice jewelry, and how she had given me the rings I was wearing.   I told her how my mom's favorite stone was amethyst.    But my mom's birthstone wasn't amethyst, and my birthstone isn't amethyst, even though we kind of wished it was.     But it is my daughters' birthstone.   As the prayer says, "bless the hands that never tire in their loving care of me."   As I bless my mom's hands, I know one day my children will bless my hands for the love toward them.

"Let us not grow weary of doing good.   For at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."    Galatians 6:9

May your hands be blessed today, in all that they do.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. And I love that your mom loved jewelry just like you. I have my mom's hands, too - the good and the bad - but I love that they're the same.

Unknown said...

Isn't it a blessing to have those sweet memories we can share with our daughters of the mothers that loved us so... Hugs from Maine http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Nothing but the Krums said...

what a sweet thought. I know I often think of my mothers hands, although mine are different.

Karen P said...

Amen sister. Those rings are beautiful, and so is the one wearing them! Thanks for sharing your sweet memories and hopes for the future.

kelly said...

beautiful.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

What a thoughtful post --- I remember my mom's hands when I was younger, too. I always looked at my mom and thought she was so beautiful in her pantihose and high heels, and she had the prettiest hands - long nails, always painted, pretty rings. I wonder if my girls look at me (in my headbands and t-shirts and chewed-off nails...) and think I'm beautiful?? I wonder if, in fact, they do.

Caroline said...

That is such a sweet post. I'm so glad you are sharing the legacy of your mom (and leaving one of your own) with your little chickens!

Anonymous said...

Great post! When I think about your mom's jewelry, that purple ring is the first thing I think of. I love that ring and always loved looking at her hands when she wore it. I remember that she wore it to your wedding and I complimented her on it and how I had always loved it. What a beautiful, sweet lady who will always be missed! You have become the mother that she was to you-be proud of your accomplishments because she would be SO proud.
-Heather Adams

Em said...

My daughter just told me I had "old hands". I never thought about how much I love my grandma's hands... they are cut and bruised from pruning in the yard, they are sun and aged spotted from 80 years of sunshine and hardwork but they are the softest hands I have ever felt and she always gets her nails done :) Cute post!

Amy said...

I have never read your blog before and this just blessed me as I sit here at work on my break. I too remember my mom's hands and still look at them even today.

Thank you for this.