Wednesday, April 07, 2010

A Lesson from the Birds


With it being National Poetry Month, I once again, have gotten excited about poetry. My friend who always inspires me to read more, is doing a fun thing over at her blog at the end of this month, which I definitely plan to participate in. However, throughout this month, I hope to bring some cheer with poems or songs that have stuck out to me.

Last night we went to our library to hear Mother Goose (who was completely awesome) read several of her rhymes, and do some crafts, and have a little party. I love that my kids as young as they are, are learning to read and understand poetry. I've pulled out my Mother Goose and A Child's Garden of Verses, and I'm sure, I'll be learning quite a lot this month myself. This lesson is from the birds.

"Nest Eggs" by Robert Louis Stevenson

Birds all the sunny day
Flutter and quarrel
Here in the arbour-like
Tent of the laurel.

Here in the fork
The brown nest is seated;
Four little blue eggs
The mother keeps heated.

While we stand watching her,
Staring like gabies,
Safe in each egg are the
Bird's little babies.

Soon the frail eggs they shall
Chip, and upspringing,
Make all the April woods
Merry with singing.

Younger than we are,
O children, and frailer,
Soon in blue air they'll be,
Singer and sailor.

We, so much older,
Taller and stronger,
We shall look down on the
Birdies no longer.

They shall go flying
With musical speeches
High overhead in the
Tops of the beeches.

In spite of our wisdom
And sensible talking,
We on our feet must go
Plodding and walking.

1 comment:

Allison Shops said...

Mother Goose was a favorite of mine, and I enjoyed reading my book when my children were young. Thanks for the reminders.

Dropping by from The Inspired Room. Come see what has inspired me in Blog Land. Don't forget our giveaway ends Saturday night - be sure to register at AtticMag!

Allison