Friday, April 09, 2010

My Path to Life is Free

One of my favorite things to do in the morning, is to sit by my front window, sip my coffee while I watch the birds and squirrels, and for a few quiet minutes before the rush of the day begins, take the time to be still. I'd like to say this happens every morning without fail, but alas, I cannot. Many mornings, I like to begin by reading a hymn. Especially, this month, I have been loving this routine.

Last night, I was reminded of how though our circumstances may not change, or may change for the worse, still our joy and our strength is found only in Christ. That His grace is sufficient...not just for those people somewhere out there, having a really hard time, but for me, in my everyday difficulties and hardships. Those times when I think to myself, "if only________would change, I could be more happy or more at peace or a better friend/wife/whatever." Or when the enemy would like to convince me that, "I can't do this anymore", that instead, my focus would be that of the servant Paul, that in all things, I could say...

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Phil. 4:12-13

We're not supposed to be able to handle this life, or the hardships it brings. We're not supposed to be able to grin and bear it. We need Him to give us the strength. And only in those difficult places are we able to see how much we need Him. I thought it fitting that today's hymn that I read said it so eloquently...

In heavenly love abiding,
No change my heart shall fear;
And safe is such confiding,
For nothing changes here.
The storm may roar without me,
My heart may low be laid;
But God is round about me,
And can I be dismayed?

Wherever He may guide me,
No want shall turn me back;
My Shepherd is beside me,
And nothing can I lack.
His wisdom ever waketh,
His sight is never dim;
He knows the way He taketh,
And I will walk with Him.

Green pastures are before me,
Which yet I have not seen;
Bright skies will soon be o'er me,
Where darkest clouds have been.
My hope I cannot measure,
My path to life is free;
My Saviour has my treasure,
And He will walk with me.

Amen.

hymn by James W. Elliott

1 comment:

Mrs. Paul said...

Melissa that was wonderful. Hope you don't mind that I linked to this blog from mine today. Have a delightful weekend.