Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Let Down the Hands

As I walk through the war zone I call "home" I know I need a rest. I feel the need to sit and be still, but, like most days, I tend to not give into that need. I tend to see stopping or being still as being weak. Like I'm not being strong enough or good enough to get everything done. Or I give into the thought that tells me that I should be still later. But later never comes.

Every day, I make my kids take a rest. Even if they don't sleep, they have to stay on their bed (or sometimes on the couch) and have some time and space to just be still. I know that a rest is what they need. I see them yawning and rubbing their eyes, and I know. They just need to be still and rest. It seems like I would take my own rule to heart, but usually, I just have too much to do to take the time to be still.

Last week I learned that the Hebrew meaning for the word "still" is to "let down the hands". I've always known that it was not my nature to be still. As long as I can remember, I've always been busy...or the more positive word to use would be "involved" or "active". But it really just is being busy. Going here or there, doing things with this group or that group. I was always actively involved in school, dance, theater, church, social events, etc. etc. And today, is just the same. Just because I'm older doesn't mean that I've stopped running here and there. It just becomes more difficult to "let my hands down". Not only are there things to be involved in, there are people to take care of! Not only is it just dressing myself, and cleaning my room before I run out to do do do....now it's dressing myself and my kids, feeding my family, cleaning my house, working in the yard, and as you know...the list goes on. So, how much harder is it now to let my hands down??

"Be still and know that I am God" it is not something that God says we maybe should do every once in a while. It's not something He suggests is a good idea for some of us. He is saying it to us all. "Be still...Be still and know that I am God." "Let your hands down". He's begging us, "Take a minute and know that I am God. Know that I have it all in my hands. Know that it will be ok if you play with your kids at the park instead of doing laundry. It will be alright if you study my word instead of tackling the house right now. I am God, and I love you. And me telling you to let down your hands is for your best."

I don't have a choice about it. Not if I want to obey my Father. Not if I want to do what I know is truly best for me. He is calling to you. He is calling to me. To take a minute and know that He is God. If I truly want to know Him today, I have to stop and rest. I have to let my hands down, and be still.

No comments: