Monday, November 17, 2008

Days Go By...

The weekend days always feels like my "days off".   Even though, I'm a stay at home mom, and my kids are still around, and I'm still the mom, for some reason I can allow myself  to rest a little bit more.    For instance, the house doesn't necessarily get cleaned as much.    I might even take a nap.   Or read a magazine.    The laundry piles up a little, and I'm not as on top of the dishes as I usually am.     I even play with the kids more.    So, what is it, that allows this restful mindset to set in?    Why is it that just knowing that the weekend is here somehow bids me a more laid back perspective?    

I think that being a stay at home mom is a wonderful gift.   A gift that is a choice, and is also filled with it's own share of troubles and anxieties.    And because the role never really changes, (for example, it's not like we have a choice about taking our work home with us) there has to be an outlet of when we take a break, or chill out a little more.    Somehow in my mind, the weekend days are my days off, too, just as if I were out in the working world and I couldn't wait for the weekend to be here.    I look forward to Friday, even though my job title will be the same on Sat. and Sun. as it is Monday-Friday.    I don't do my duties as rigidly, and I don't stress of always getting everything done in a particular timeframe.   Whatever it is, I'm thankful to have the weekends...even when the kids are sick and we have lots of things to do.   The trick is figuring out how to not suddenly feel overwhelmed when Monday rolls around, and almost hyperventilate from the junk and stuff that I relaxed about over the weekend.

2 comments:

Em said...

The times I have worked, I always was a part timer and always took a weekday off, usually Wednesday. This was like getting two weekends per week! I would relax on Wednesday AND on Sunday and didnt' feel like I had a mountian of "stuff" waiting for me come Monday. It made all the other days easier too. Maybe you should make Wednesday one of your "off" days too :) I have been at home since June, going to school online but I found I still keep this routine... I don't do homework on wednesdays and Sundays and have found those days are my "relax" days with no laundry, dishes, housework too... It works for me!

Caroline said...

I totally feel you on this one. I tend to relax more when the weekends come. Of course I probably am too relaxed during the week - I do not thoroughly enjoy housework by any means. I think I also like weekends because Adam is home and can help share time with Wesley.