Thursday, November 13, 2008

Secrets of a Sassy...goes vintage!

I've been a little slack on my secrets lately. And I've probably started at least 3 posts since last week, and just haven't either liked them or had the energy to finish them. But I had wanted to give a little tip for today. I love things being repurposed and reused. And I love finding unique items to spruce up a house, an outfit, whatever it is. Last week, I noticed that almost every day, I had something on that was from an antique store or a thrift store, that to someone was too old to keep around. But to me, it's vintage wonderful! So, then, what's my tip?

Put a little vintage flare into your outfits. I know this is a little more artsy than just wearing a cute pair of boots or some beaded jewelry. And I think maybe it has happened for me more out of living on a budget, than just trying to be cool, but whatever it is, now I love it.

I love seeing that our styles repeat over the years and trying to find something at a thrift store or yard sale that could pass for a cute thing found in J. Crew. Take for instance my red velvet blazer. I think I paid $1 for it 4 years ago at a yard sale, but every year I love layering it with cute fall clothes. Or, my Jackie O brown alligator pumps. They always make my feet look pretty. Or some of those houndstooth blazers that are so in style right now! I think it's really neat to be able to continue getting use out of things, even when to some, they're old and gray.

I've always wished that my mom had saved a pair of bell bottoms, just so I could see how big they really were compared to the flare pants these days. What about you? Do you have anything vintage that you wear? Besides your mom's old zipper suit? Now that, I hope those never comes back in!

2 comments:

Em said...

I can say I don't have any vintage items... it's sad and now you made me really want to go find something! I don't live in a very "vintage" frendly town... unless you are talking about the vintage of a wine, but I am close to some wonderful bohemian cities where I could very well score me a "red vintage blazer" of my own! I love the look of vintage but always "recreate" the look with faux "old" stuff! You have inspired me to go find something authentic! ... Well, maybe in Spring when I have somewhat of a normal body shape :)

Karen P said...

hey girl - you know i wished i had never cleaned out all my goodwill finds from college (especially after your plaid post). hopefully i can get back to vintage stores after the i put the second kid in preschool. i do have one leather coat that i bought in a vintage store in scotland in college. i need to work on the buttons - maybe i'll get out again this year!