Monday, August 25, 2008

The Poor Store

Today River was playing a game with her piggy bank. This was her scenario...

"Mommy, I'm pretending I'm poor....Excuse me, is this the poor store?" (to me, because apparently I'm the woman who works at the "poor store")

I choke back a laugh at the "poor store" comment, and then answer...

"Umm, yes, may I help you?"

"Well, I need some money. I only have one money, so I need some more."

Of course, I played on, giving her milk carton lids to put in as "more money" into her bank. But, inside, I thought about how simple life really could be. To a child, the answer is simple. If you don't have enough money, you go somewhere, to some "store" where someone could give you what you need, to help you. Now, if our society would just cooperate with this child size version of how to care for one another, we'd be pretty well off.

2 comments:

Jodie Allen said...

i just love this post. you are absolutely right. and as someone in need of a poor store, i'm so thankful that family can sometimes step in to work the "poor store" once in a while.

Melissa said...

girl, i have been there, and let me tell you - it truly is a gift to have family that is willing and able to lend a helping hand. ;) hope you and your sweet family are doing well, out there in the midwest.